Sunday, August 25, 2013

Crockpot cooking the best Chili

I have been a bit ragged with the start of school for everyone in our house so I didn't do any freezer prep (besides a new batch of breakfast burritos). I did make my favorite chili though and I love it so much I thought I'd share.
There really isn't a recipe. I like the kind of cooking where you can just toss things in. You should sill try it it is nutrient dense and if you are like me and hate the consistency/texture of veggie chili but don't care terribly for flesh either this is for you. It tastes/feels like the good chili con carne at the store.

Crockpot:

Chicken/veg broth
Tomato sauce/paste

Black beans
Lentils (I use red and brown)

Quinoa
Chia seeds

It is the quinoa and chia that give the con carne texture.

Chopped onion
Cumin (dump a bunch in)
Garlic salt
Pepper
Cayenne
Chili powder

I use a lot of cayenne (my family likes their nose to water when they eat my chili/tortilla soups...).
And I like a couple jalapenos in it too.

Cook a couple hours (assuming the beans were canned not dry). You can tell if you need more spice by the smell, if it doesn't smell like chili add some! I never use the same amount of. Anything and it always turns out good.

You can use water in place of broth too.
The picture shows how much spice I start with and I put about the same in halfway through.
One pot could feed us for a month of dinners but I give some away and freeze some.

No comments:

Post a Comment